Know what visual conspicuity is?
Not many people do.
But it’s a term you should know if you create signs.
Conspicuity is the capacity of your sign to stand out. Put another way, it’s the capacity of your sign to be discovered by the eye.
Mostly subjective, conspicuity depends a lot on things like personal opinions, interpretations, emotions, and individual judgment.
Conspicuity is why some people notice your sign immediately and others walk by it without ever seeing it. No sign has 100% conspicuity with an audience.
Signs with conspicuity make an impact-no matter the size or purpose. Conspicuity is a critical design element to keep in mind when creating and placing a sign.
Types of Conspicuity
You need to consider two types of conspicuity when designing a sign: search conspicuity and attention conspicuity.
Search conspicuity depends on whether a person is looking for something specific, like a type of business or a house.
Someone walking pass a car dealership is more likely to notice signs in a car lot on her way to work than someone who’s not interested in buying a car.
Attention conspicuity has to do with a sign’s ability to attract attention as someone passes by-even when not looking for something specific.
Effective signage captures the attention of people-whether on foot or driving-when not looking for something specific at the moment.
Tips On Creating Conspicuity
Many consider attention conspicuity the more important type of conspicuity. Below are some tips on how to create attention conspicuity in your signs:
- Use full color graphics. They have the highest awareness of all sign categories.
- Use contrast. It creates visibility. Using light colored letters on a dark background, for example, makes lettering appear larger.
- Choose a sign design that enhances individual letters. Using black letters on a yellow background or yellow letters on a black background makes your sign easy to read at a distance.
- Make sure your sign is the right height. Use 1 inch of letter height for every 25 feet of distance.
- Visual aesthetics are critical when creating signs. Font, color, graphics-all affect readability AND conspicuity.
Keep visual conspicuity in mind when developing signs and you’ll create signs that will make your audience sit up and take notice-even at night. It’s advised to choose best companies of your area to make a good signage for your business, that will help your business to grow high in your market with good visualized signage.…